Marufukuro is a hotel that opened in Kyoto, Japan on April 1, 2022.
The hotel was renovated by architect Tadao Ando from the building that used to be Nintendo's former headquarters. The name "Marufukuro" comes from the trade name "Marufuku" used by the Yamauchi family, Nintendo's founding family.
History of Nintendo's Founding
- 1889 Founded (manufacturing and selling Hanafuda (Japanese playing cards))
- 1902 Started manufacturing playing cards
- 1933 Establishes an unlimited partnership, Yamauchi Nintendo Co.
- 1947 Establishes Marufuku Co.
- 1950 Changed the company name to Nintendo Karuta Co.
- 1951 Changed trade name to Nintendo Bone Tile Co.
- 1963 Company name changed to Nintendo Co.
- 1983 Launches the Family Computer
Marufukuro is a valuable historical building
There are many hotels in Kyoto, Japan that utilize historical buildings, and Marufukuro is one of the most valuable historical buildings. This building is the former headquarters building of Nintendo and was the residence of the Yamauchi family, the founders of Nintendo. Until now, this building has been closed to the public. Nevertheless, it was considered "sacred ground" among Nintendo fans, and was visited as a holy place pilgrimage.
The building was renovated as a hotel by architect Tadao Ando.